We’ve had a tradition each year of having a cake for our dog Duke the Whippet on his birthday April 26. Early on, we had a local shop where we’d get his cake, but unfortunately they went out of business in 2019.
So, last year, I purchased this cake set from Chewy that’s also available from Amazon From what I could tell, Duke enjoyed it, but it wasn’t human grade.
Given now, I have a toddler who’d like to celebrate too, I made my own concoction, which came out tasting great. Here’s what you need to do to make the cake that’s family and dog friendly.
3 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup precooked oats (either old fashioned or steel cuts)
- Take microwave safe bowl and add the peanut butter and banana. Microwave for 1 minute.
- Mash banana and stir with peanut butter. Add oats and egg. Mix vigorously to combine.
- Pour into mold that has been sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking. Do not overfill and leave it 1/4 inch below top of mold to allow for expansion. You may have enough to fill the mold 2 to 3 times (depending on the size of your mold).
- Microwave mold filled with mix for 90 seconds. Add 30 seconds at a time until mix is set, but moist.
- Let cool on plate and then serve.