‘Tis the season for football and chili. I also make a crock pot full of chili when I’m going to be out of town so my husband is well fed. I really like the Betty Crocker Slow-Cooker Family-Favorite Chili recipe as a springboard.
After my few tweaks (using half ground pork and half ground beef), adding red wine, and molasses, the recipe looks like this.
Yummy in my Tummy Chili
Just carve out 20 minutes in the morning, and, voila…you have a vat of delicious chili.
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
HELPFUL HINT: Publix sells ground beef and ground pork in a 2 pound combo package for meatloaf. So, that’s how I usually buy it.
1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 oz) chili beans in sauce, undrained*
* I often double the beans. Joan of Arc has great beans.
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (You can also use more if you’d like)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup red wine
1. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
2. In 4- to 5-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion and remaining ingredients
3. Cover and cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
THAT’S IT! Chili is great in that you can dial up or down various flavors depending on your palate.
In our house, we NEVER eat chili without Cheez-its, and, this week, Cheez-its are BOGO at Publix. You’re welcome.