I had a party at my house this weekend and my friend Delilah brought this yummy delight to share. I’d highly recommend especially with SuperBowl festivities this weekend.
Slim Six-Layer Dip
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons chili paste or your favorite hot sauce
2 cups mexican shredded cheese
1 1/2 cups plain nonfat yogurt, preferably Greek
5 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
3/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno, stemmed and thinly sliced
3 ripe avocados, preferably Hass
2 cups finely shredded romaine lettuce
3 ripe medium tomatoes, diced
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, beans and chili paste and heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the beans. Remove from the heat, add 2 tablespoons water and mash until somewhat smooth. Spread in a 2-quart glass casserole dish.
- Scatter the cheese over the beans.
- Halve and pit the avocados; scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash with 1 teaspoon salt and the lemon juice. Spread the avocado over the cheese.
- Reserve some scallions, cilantro and jalapeno for garnish. Pulse the yogurt with the remaining scallions, cilantro and jalapeno in a blender or food processor. Spread over the avocado.
- Top with the lettuce.
- Season the tomatoes with another teaspoon salt and scatter over the lettuce.
- Top with the reserved scallions, cilantro and jalapeno.
Per serving: Calories 290; Fat 15 (Saturated 5); Cholesterol 18 mg; Sodium 702 mg; Carbohydrate 25 g; Fiber 10 g; Protein 18 g