I’ve gotten addicted to sugar again and just feel yucky….amazing how quickly your diet can derailed. On Saturday, I’m started this 5 day detox reset
I got this information from the Little Black Dress Project by Alicia Streger.
5 Day Detox Rules:
1. Green Smoothie for breakfast: One of my new fav recipes called Green Trekker inspired from a Whole Foods smoothie. In a blender, place 4 ice cubes, 6-8 oz. water, 1 huge handful fresh baby spinach, 1 heaping tsp. cacao powder, 1 handful frozen blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana, and 3 pitted medjool dates. Blend at increasing speeds to make smooth and enjoy!
Try other variations and be creative with it-but just make sure you add your greens in there- you won’t even taste them! The main goal with the green smoothies is to load your body with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, to alkalize your body, and begin the detoxification process.
2. Drink at LEAST 1/2 your body weight in ounces in water each day. Water consumed during your workouts does not count towards your daily total. (that’s a general rule of thumb anyway)
Keep it interesting. Find a really nice glass that you like and switch it up by adding sliced cucumber, strawberries, lemon, grated ginger, orange slices or other fun things to your water.
Also make sure to keep water with you at ALL times so you can stay hydrated throughout the day to make your detox more effective.
3. Have a large salad for lunch. Load it up with veggies- as much as you want. Add about 4 ounces of protein (chicken, turkey, etc.) Stay away from the iceberg- as it contains less nutrients and more water than spinach or a baby greens mix.
For dressing, I’m going to fresh squeeze a lemon over your salad. If that won’t cut it for you, you can make a light vinaigrette.
Here’s my fav dressing: 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, ⅓ cup good quality aged balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbs. dried parsley, ½ tsp. sea salt, Freshly ground pepper to taste, 1 Tbs. honey mustard (organic if possible), 1 garlic clove, passed through a garlic press or minced (optional) Add all ingredients into a bowl & whisk until thick and creamy.
4. Dinner: A palm sized portion of a grilled/baked/steamed protein (like chicken or fish) and 2 servings of vegetables.
5. Get 6-8 hours of sleep every night. Make an effort to go to bed earlier if you’re not getting enough sleep. Rest and recovery is critical for your body to get the most out of your 5-day detox.
6. Exercise for at least 20 minutes for 3 or more of the next 5 days.
7. Other Basics:
Caffeine: limit to 1 cup (and have green tea if you do).
Just say NO to left-over Christmas cookies and eggnog
Need a snack? Apple with 1 Tbs. Almond Butter (NOT peanut butter), handful raw nuts, or Fresh-cut veggies with 2 Tbs. homemade guacamole or avocado
No Wheat products of any kind- breads, etc.
Focus on the OUTCOME of what you want. Focus on feeling good, healthy, and energetic. Don’t focus on the foods or anything that will distract you from your end goal
Here’s a photo of my snacks as well as my smoothie before adding water.